On October 16th, Benjamin Maxwell, left his home and family for two years to serve a mission in San Jose, California.

As a missionary: He will teach of Jesus Christ and His gospel. He will have doors slammed in his face and be yelled at. He will meet people from all walks of life. He will stretch himself. He will learn about himself. He will learn of his Heavenly Father's love for him and for all His children. He will learn to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost. He will serve the people of San Jose. And he will LOVE more than he though possible.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

So that's the story of the $200 text!

I finally get some time to sit down and write home! What a week! That's all I can say!
 
I will get right to the part that everyone is waiting for... Why did I send mom a text in the middle of the week asking for $200? Well let's start at the very beginning...
 
We were doing service at the good old thrift shop, as we always do, and as I was working so hard a very kind old lady came in and asked us to help her get some donations out of her car, as lots of people do.  We kindly told her that we would love to help and proceeded out to her car. When we got to the car, all that she had to donate were four sets of old golf clubs. As missionaries do, I instantly jumped on the chance to talk about the connection that we instantly had because of the work I have done at golf courses.  After a very lovely conversation she decided that she wanted me to have one of the sets of old clubs.  I told her that I would have no use for them but she insisted, so I took them and put the set of clubs in the trunk of our car.  I planned on donating them to the store the next time we visited.  That night I was bored and I had happened to bring a ball and the putter into the apartment to help pass some of the time. You have seen how I would just putt around the house and that's what I was doing in the apartment.  But I remember a saying now, "When boys get together the smart factor goes down!" Or something like that.  I guess this never stops being true, its not something we can grow out of I guess.  Anyways, the other elders were so impressed with my putting skills that they kept challenging me to more and more crazy putts.  (Like bouncing it off walls and around corners and across the tops of tables and other stupid things like that.) Everything was going great and we were all having a lot of fun until I tried to putt a little bit to hard and the edge of the club caught the ball wrong and sent it flying into the front window... The fun instantly ended and everyone looked at me like, "What were you thinking, are you crazy?"  Cleaned up the glass that had fell and put some duct tape on the window for the night. Made some not so fun calls in the morning and found out I would be owing 200 dollars to repair the window. The words of my mother continue to ring loud and clear in my head, "No playing with balls in the house! Take it outside before you break something!" Another rule I guess you can't grow out of! Now that its all said and done, the window is repaired and everything is back to normal, it is actually pretty funny! But still bad. The new window is a lot better than the old one though. Still just a single pane window though, I thought that was weird coming from freezing cold New York. There is no such thing as insulation here in Cali!​ So that's the story of the $200 text!
 
Other things that happened this week... Well nothing else is quite as exciting as that but... We did get 4 new investigators this week and those two girls that we met at church last week are still super interested and have listened to the first two lessons now!  We have a lot more work to do this week than we had last week.  We wont have to struggle for how to fill the time this week!  That's a huge blessing and very exciting.  My companion and I did a three day challenge last week of 100% obedience to every single rule. That is a very, very difficult thing to do! Let me tell you, it is a struggle. There are so many rules and it would take me at least two years to get to a point where I could consistently be in the habit of keeping all of them.  But the blessings that we received from being obedient is so obvious!  Four new investigators in one week?!!!! That never happens!  Awesome!
 
I love you all and keep you all in my prayers. Stay strong and keep each other close. I know that you are all amazing and that Heavenly Father loves each and every one of you! He knows you, He knows your pains and struggles and trials. He will help you with anything. Just ask. I will help you with anything as well, as long as it is in my power. Take care!
 
Love,
Elder Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment