On October 16th, Benjamin Maxwell, left his home and family for two years to serve a mission in San Jose, California.

As a missionary: He will teach of Jesus Christ and His gospel. He will have doors slammed in his face and be yelled at. He will meet people from all walks of life. He will stretch himself. He will learn about himself. He will learn of his Heavenly Father's love for him and for all His children. He will learn to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost. He will serve the people of San Jose. And he will LOVE more than he though possible.

Monday, April 7, 2014

No pride, Just the truth!

I hope everyone enjoyed conference as much as I did. It sounds like you all had the usual Maxwell family conference! That's awesome. Its not the same sitting in the chapel for all of the sessions but it does help you focus more. Or maybe that was because I am a missionary... Either way conference was great.

It has been another wonderful week out here in sunny California where the sun never stops shinning! I understand that you have stopped looking at the weather for over here but I think its good for you to know that it will be in the 80's most of the week! Ahh, my tan is coming along quite nicely. By the end of the week I should be golden!

Anyways, on to the important things. I had the opportunity to go on exchanges this week with two members of my district. It was really a lot of fun because I am really good friends with one of them and I got to spend all day with him on Friday. It is a very relaxing process, being able to just slow down and enjoy the time that has been given to us, while doing the Lords work. I honestly enjoy being a missionary so much. I can't even explain to you how it has changed my life. Everything that I have gone through in my life has prepared me for right here, right now.

I have had so many memories come back to me this past week, both good and bad. I have struggled for a little bit trying to understand how I can remember what I learned from bad experiences without having to remember all the guilt, pain, and sadness that came from them. Then my answer came during conference. I believe it was Sunday morning when Dieter F. Uchtdorf spoke about having an attitude of gratitude. It is exactly the answer that I needed. I realized that as I have let the Atonement change my life the memories stay with me but not with God. I realized that I could learn from them by being grateful to my Heavenly Father for letting me have these experiences. Through an attitude of gratitude I can let bad things have a positive influence on me and on those who I am able to share these experiences with. That is probably what has struck with me the most this week.

I have learned a lot about what the Lord is expecting from me. I also really liked the talk about the young man who gave a talk in church and then was seen in his "street" clothes right after church. I think there is a great lesson to learn from this. Stand as an example of Christ at all times in all places.

We also got to go to the Oakland Temple this week. It was amazing! Such a beautiful temple. The spirit is so strong there and it made me remember all the times that I worked in the temple in Palmyra! I also realized that I have never gone through the temple endowments in the same temple. Four times in for temples! Pretty cool!

No more time this week but I love you all! Keep being kind to each other and always remember that our family ROCKS!!! We are seriously the coolest! No pride, Just the truth!
 
Love, Elder Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment