On October 16th, Benjamin Maxwell, left his home and family for two years to serve a mission in San Jose, California.

As a missionary: He will teach of Jesus Christ and His gospel. He will have doors slammed in his face and be yelled at. He will meet people from all walks of life. He will stretch himself. He will learn about himself. He will learn of his Heavenly Father's love for him and for all His children. He will learn to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost. He will serve the people of San Jose. And he will LOVE more than he though possible.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

I have seen lots of miracles in the work.

What a week it has been, I think that the emailing here in Greenfield is going to be a little bit precarious. We had Zone Conference yesterday so we didn't have time to email. That's why my letter is a second day late.
 
This week has gone by really fast. We taught a total of 24 lessons this week and we contacted 138 people on the street. We got two new investigators from those contacts and we also got a less active family to come to church! Its super awesome.
 
I have seen lots of miracles in the work down here. Yesterday our mission President told us that in 2010 all of the missions in California started to drop because of prop 8 or something about gay marriage being legalized. He then told us that the San Jose mission is the only mission that has been coming back from that. Over the past six months this mission has seen more than double the amount of baptisms and everything else! Its super cool seeing how the work is growing so much in this area.
 
Elder Olenslager and I have been working on getting a lot more investigators. We are trying to get a baptism before the end of the year. We have four baptism dates right now but we don't know how many of them will hold through. We hope they all will.
 
We have taught the first lesson to both of our new investigators but they are both Spanish so I didn't really say anything which kind of bummed me out. But then we went and talked to a less active family and they all spoke English!!!! So I got to feel like a real missionary! Me and Elder Olenslager are really good at teaching together. We helped the family out a lot and I left that home feeling like I had done my part in a lesson. It was a good feeling.
 
During my personal study this week, I have been doing a lot of studying about Faith, Hope, and Charity. It has been really cool. In Ether 12:6 it says that with faith we can do anything. That is true but in order to have enough faith to do anything we have to have hope and charity also. It says this in Ether 12:28, Alma 7:24, and D&C 4:5. There are a lot more scriptures that I can't remember off the top of my head but it has been really cool seeing faith hope and charity pop up everywhere in the scriptures as I study. I finished the Book of Mormon this week! I started it in the MTC so it has been really fast but that happens when you study for hours each day. Its very enlightening.
 
This week I couldn't hold out any longer so I went and bought some chocolate milk... Ha-ha, that's the only thing I have bought all week! I sent home my SD card. It has the address of my apartment on it. Everyone can mail things directly to the apartment but when transfers get close I wouldn't send anything there because it would probably get taken by the other elders if I left. Transfers are every six weeks here also.
 
I'm super glad I got to write to you all today! Hope all is well at home. Everyone tell mom and dad that I love them for me. You guys are the best family anyone could ever ask for! Love you all!
 
Love, Elder Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment