On October 16th, Benjamin Maxwell, left his home and family for two years to serve a mission in San Jose, California.

As a missionary: He will teach of Jesus Christ and His gospel. He will have doors slammed in his face and be yelled at. He will meet people from all walks of life. He will stretch himself. He will learn about himself. He will learn of his Heavenly Father's love for him and for all His children. He will learn to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost. He will serve the people of San Jose. And he will LOVE more than he though possible.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

I learned what it really means to love the people.

Where to start? Oh that's easy, HAPPY BIRTHDAY JONATHAN!!!!! AND DAD!

This week has been a missionary week for sure! We started off getting a lot of rejection on Thursday. We went to about 15 houses and only had three people let us in. That was dinner and two members... But then the next day we had some more rejection for the first half of the day but ended up getting in to some non-member homes and having some really great lessons. (That's what my companion told me, they were all in Spanish)

We also contacted this group of religious people who were on speakerphones on the corner of the street and I met this guy who grew up LDS but joined the other church instead of going on a mission. We had a really good conversation and I could tell that I gave him some things to think about but he didn't want to meet with us so it will be one of those seeds that I planted.

We got a referral for this really nice English family and we haven't been able to get in and talk with them yet but I feel like that's the family that I am here in Greenfield for so, even thought they aren't even our investigators yet, we have been praying for them every night.

Lets see, we went to this birthday party for a member who is turning 24 and she is Hispanic so they fed us pig foot soup. It has some Hispanic name and is only for really special occasions. There was a legit pig foot in my bowl! Skin and all... So I ate all the soup and meat that was around it and then ate the skin and meat off of it like they showed me. It didn't taste bad but I think I still prefer eating my meat when its not attached to the animal. It was a good experience though. Then we went to dinner after the birthday dinner and had some amazing ham. Like I said, the meat is better off of the animal.

During our p-day yesterday we baked a cake and frosted it for this girl because her birthday isn't until today just like Jono. She has two little kids and they are super fun. Her son is four and is convinced that he is Iron Man and her daughter is 3 and everyone calls her princess so that's what she thinks her name is. I learned this past week what it really means to love the people. I can honestly say that I love the people here in Greenfield and the surrounding two hour radius of towns and cities that we cover :)

The work is going super well Me and Elder Olenslager are still doing a lot of finding but hopefully it starts to turn into a lot more teaching. It is way nice hearing about everyone at home every week!

Love you all and pray for everyone every night!
Love,
Elder Maxwell

1 comment:

  1. As I read your blog today, it gave me chills. I am a convert since Feb, and I can only imagine how hard it is to reach people who are not willing to listen. To have a door slammed in your face. I remember at church one night your mom asked people to come and give the youth a real life of knocking on doors. I did close it on some that night,but I felt bad. But reality is people really do that. I will continue to pray for you on your mission. I know this experience will be life changing. Hang in there and do not give up. Sometimes if you only give one word, and they don't want to hear anything else, it will be that one little seed that will grow in time. Thanks for serving and sharing the Gospel!!

    ReplyDelete