On October 16th, Benjamin Maxwell, left his home and family for two years to serve a mission in San Jose, California.

As a missionary: He will teach of Jesus Christ and His gospel. He will have doors slammed in his face and be yelled at. He will meet people from all walks of life. He will stretch himself. He will learn about himself. He will learn of his Heavenly Father's love for him and for all His children. He will learn to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost. He will serve the people of San Jose. And he will LOVE more than he though possible.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The spirit has no language.

Wow, a lot has gone on at home since I last wrote! Snowing... that's too bad for you guys, I'm not going to lie the mornings have been a little bit brisk (like 55) and then it warms up to a nice 70 degree day. Its not so bad out here :)
 
I have had a lot of cool experiences starting with Spanish. We were at a less active Spanish members home and we were teaching her and her kids a lesson about the Book of Mormon. During the lesson' me and my companion have worked it out so I will share a portion of the lesson in English and he will translate for me. Its rough but at least it gets me a little bit involved. I have been working really hard on getting my testimony down in Spanish and at the end of the lesson I really felt like I needed to share it so I stumbled through it. (It was very "not fluent" and I forgot some words but I got through it) As I was bearing my testimony though, I could feel the spirit filling the room. I learned a very valuable lesson that night. One, the spirit has no language. It will reach people perfectly no matter how good or how bad you speak. Whenever you are testifying you will be touching them more than anything else can. I remember someone saying something like "the spirit is bilingual", but really its super-lingual. Another thing I learned is that I have a lot of work to do on my Spanish...

Second cool thing of the week was a service project that we went to on Monday instead of our p-day. We drove up to Monterrey and helped the Baptist church put together 1009 thanksgiving baskets to give out to the community today. It was super cool serving right along side all these other people. At the end I had a really cool talk about seeing the gospel change peoples lives with this very Baptist lady. She was super nice and really liked what I said to her. She worked in a prison teaching the inmates for several years so she knew what she was talking about. It was a really cool service project and LDS church news was there taking pictures and interviews on the whole thing. So look for me on LDS.org I was wearing a blue and gray hoodie that I got while I was here. That would be super cool if they had a picture of me up there. I didn't get interviewed though. Super cool experience. 

Video link:  http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/mormons-monterey-interfaith-thanksgiving?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LDSNewsRoomTop15+%28RSS%3A+LDS+Newsroom%29  (you can see Elder Maxwell at :30 and 1:50 in the video, I couldn't find him in any of the photos)

We drove all the way down to Bradly this week also, it is the very last town in the mission. The very bottom. It was super small and the referral that we were trying to visit wasn't even home so we will have to drive down some other time. It was a really cool drive though. About 45min south of Greenfield and it was all covered in vineyards. I'm serious, just vineyards as far as you can see. We also stopped in one other really small town just to see what it was but there was nothing. The windows on the public library were all boarded up and everyone was living in shacks. It was super sketchy, I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if I saw a dead person, that's how sketchy it was. But it was a fun time seeing the rest of our area. That was the first time anyone had been south of King City.

Last cool story for the week happened this morning. We went to a Spanish members home after working out this morning, which by the way I'm getting super strong. No Joke. But anyways we go over there for breakfast/lunch. They served us Menudo,
 
Menudo is a traditional Mexican soup made with beef stomach (tripe) in broth with a red chili pepper base.
 
it is literally cow intestines in cow intestine broth. Super chewy, like chewing on fat and it had little spikes on the inside of the intestines so it had a really strange texture. I ate the whole bowl and broke Hispanic manners and declined the second bowl but I sure am glad I did. Its one of those things that you eat to say that you ate it I guess. Supposedly its really good for curing hangovers though. Not something I would really want to try again and I wouldn't recommend any of you trying it. Probably wouldn't go over well with the chillins.

That is pretty much the best of my week so hopefully next week can top that!
Love you all and I'll hear and write more next week.

Love, Elder Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment