On October 16th, Benjamin Maxwell, left his home and family for two years to serve a mission in San Jose, California.

As a missionary: He will teach of Jesus Christ and His gospel. He will have doors slammed in his face and be yelled at. He will meet people from all walks of life. He will stretch himself. He will learn about himself. He will learn of his Heavenly Father's love for him and for all His children. He will learn to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost. He will serve the people of San Jose. And he will LOVE more than he though possible.

Monday, June 2, 2014

I am now an American Sign Language missionary!

At the Oakland temple as a missionary.

At the Oakland temple 17 years ago!
 
 
I have some very, very, very, exciting news! I told you last week I was getting transferred and this week you get to know where I was sent! Drum roll please.... I was called to serve in the Fremont Deaf Branch! I am now an American Sign Language missionary! Aaaahhhhhhh! It is so cool! I am so
excited that I get to be working with the deaf branch. We also cover the Central Park ward so really it's like I never left Central Park! I just added the branch! It is seriously the most awesome thing that could have happened on Tuesday and it happened! I already have an order in for some new tags that have the line of power and ASL underneath! I have been the happiest missionary in the mission this past week!

Then to top off the entire week I just got to read a super awesome letter from my mom about a super awesome week that my family just had. And then to top it off again my family has another super awesome week planned this week! I don't know how I can ever top this on my mission again. I think it would take a baptism or something.

Speaking of baptisms... We met with one of our investigators this week and we taught him the
restoration while giving him a tour of the church. He really enjoyed the whole thing and agreed with everything. Our last stop on the tour of the church was the baptismal font. I planned that out by the way... We were looking at the font and talking about baptism. There was that awesome picture of Jesus and John the Baptist on the wall and we had a super awesome conversation about baptism and the spirit was super strong. It was the perfect moment to invite him to be baptized is I did and we have a date set for the 21st of June. Such a huge blessing. I love to see how with careful planning and preparation we were able to have such an amazing lesson. He is a super solid investigator and he is excited to continue to learn.

Another awesome thing from the week was we got to go up to Oakland to teach a lesson at the temple. (ASL privileges) it was super cool and all of the sisters that serve at the visitors center were asking me how long I have known ASL and I kept telling them that I joined the ASL program on Tuesday and they were all super impressed! The spirit is so strong in the visitors center. I wish that we could teach all of our investigators there. What a huge blessing that would be. I love the temple it is so amazing.

Last awesome thing of the week was yesterday. In church I got to interpret for priesthood. The man teaching the class doesn't know sign language so he gave the lesson and I signed what he was saying so everyone in class could understand. The gift of hands is real! I am amazed at how well I was able to interpret. I thought that I was going to struggle the whole time but I was fasting for help with learning ASL and being able to remember and memorize all the signs I have learned and I can honestly say it has worked! I am comfortable having a conversation with any deaf person I meet. I am so glad that the spirit is here to help me. I know that Heavenly Father wants me here to help these people and he is providing a way for me to do that. I love serving here in Fremont with the Central Park ward and the deaf branch.

I know that Gods hands are in the work that we are doing. God is the one doing the work we are just the tools in his hands and this spirit is what makes that tool sharp or dull. I am glad to have the spirit with me so that I can be the sharpest tool I can be.

Love Elder Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment