On October 16th, Benjamin Maxwell, left his home and family for two years to serve a mission in San Jose, California.

As a missionary: He will teach of Jesus Christ and His gospel. He will have doors slammed in his face and be yelled at. He will meet people from all walks of life. He will stretch himself. He will learn about himself. He will learn of his Heavenly Father's love for him and for all His children. He will learn to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost. He will serve the people of San Jose. And he will LOVE more than he though possible.

Monday, June 30, 2014

That's why I am on my mission.

 This week has been filled with marvelous ups and downs! The worst thing that happened this week was after I was finished with my studies one morning I was running back into the bedroom with my blanket to put it away and it got caught on the door handle and tore a hole into my blanket so now the side of my blanket has a hole in it. No, I did not cry but it was a very rough morning to say the least. Definitely the hardest morning of the week. Besides maybe the other morning when I woke up from apparently a very aggressive dream because I woke up as I was giving a full force punch to my alarm clock. I can't remember my dream but my finger actually got bruised from punching my alarm clock so hard. That wasn't such a great morning either. Needless to say I was very awake after that. I am glad my alarm clock did not break, due to the sheer power of my punch!

   On to a more important note, we got a new mission president on Saturday. President Watkins is officially on never ending vacation and now President Mella is our leader. I have not had the chance to meet him yet but from what I have heard he sounds like a really cool guy.  He worked for a company called control 4, which is a home automation company and that's pretty cool. (Think Jarvis from iron man in your own home, that's what he did.)  
 
  Transfers are a week from tomorrow so the possibility of me getting transferred is about 50/50 this time. I have been In Fremont for a long time so really I should be getting transferred out soon but I just went into ASL so I could stay too. It all depends on the mission president. If I get transferred out of Fremont I am finished with ASL because this is the only ASL area in the entire mission. Part of me is ready to move forward to a new area but part of me loves being ASL and never wants to leave, I would be fine either way at this point. 
 
   First incredible amazing thing that happened this week actually just happened yesterday. We were out eating dinner at a buffet with a member and we were stuffed. We had just eaten like kings and as we are walking out a man and his son come up to us and start to ask us questions about why we are dressed up in the uniforms and what we were doing. We proceeded to tell him that we are missionaries for our church and that we are out inviting people to learn about Jesus Christ. He told us that he was a Christian and that he though that what we were doing was really cool. We asked him if he would be willing to meet up with us sometime to talk more about the gospel of Jesus Christ and he said that right now he was fine with where he was at but that the next time he saw us he would talk and listen to what we had to say.
 
Two hours later on the same day about 12 miles from where we had eaten dinner we were contacting at a lake. We walk around this lake a lot and talk with anyone that will give us 30 seconds of their time. As we are walking around this lake we see this man and his son again. We stop and start talking again and he said you must be here to burn off the calories too! I was offended inside because I really don't look like I need to burn calories but I contained my feelings and continued to talk with him. I mentioned that God must want him to hear our message because that was twice in one day that we had met. He said that he would hold up his end of the deal and would listen to what we had to say. We taught him and his son the restoration right there on the side of the lake and it was amazing. I can say right now that I know the spirit testified to him that what he heard was true. He liked what he heard enough that he was willing to give us his phone number so we could meet up again. I know that God has prepared him and his son to hear the message of the restored gospel. It was amazing to see how God blessed us so that we were able to get in contact with him in two completely different locations two hours apart. That is a testimony to me that the Lords hands are in this work and that he will lead us to those who are prepared and eager to learn.
 
    Second experience was with Miguel, he is 23 and deaf but he is so eager to learn. We taught him the plan of salvation this week and as we were teaching him I could see that he was being touched by the spirit. We had given him the DVD of the restoration in ASL and invited him to watch it over the week and he did and came back and told us that he loved it and that it all makes sence to him that God would want to communicate with us today the same way that he communicated with the people back in biblical times. He is an intelligent young man and is very in tune with the spirit. He knows when he heats truth and he is willing to follow that and continue on the path that he is lead. He has a baptism set for the 19th of July and I think that he will be ready for that. It is so much fun for me to see the gospel take someone's live and do a compleat overhaul without taking away any of their experiences or talents but leaving them with a new perspective and a new desire to do what is right. Sometimes I think about how different the world would be if the gospel did this to everyone's life.
 
That's why I am on my mission. So that I can do my part in helping make that idea a reality. The world is a crazy place full of temptation. We are few in numbers against the massive armies of satan but if we stand united steadfast in Christ we cannot fall. I know that is true. Stick together, stand up for each other, support each other, and most of all love each other.
 
We have to go get a new couch now and I am out of time but I love you all and will be praying for all of you. Take care! I hope this weeks email wasn't too boring. But, when the morning is rough... It can only get better! 

Love, Elder Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment