On October 16th, Benjamin Maxwell, left his home and family for two years to serve a mission in San Jose, California.

As a missionary: He will teach of Jesus Christ and His gospel. He will have doors slammed in his face and be yelled at. He will meet people from all walks of life. He will stretch himself. He will learn about himself. He will learn of his Heavenly Father's love for him and for all His children. He will learn to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost. He will serve the people of San Jose. And he will LOVE more than he though possible.

Monday, March 16, 2015

Transferred out of Stanford.

So, it is happening. I am getting transferred out of Stanford. Where will I be, I have no idea. I hope Everything works out and I am able to serve in a really cool area for my last area. I have figured out that I will either have one more longer area or two shorter areas. We will all have to bunker down and see what happens over the next 7 months! Transfers are exciting but I am also bummed that I don't get to stay here is Stanford longer. I have had a good run though. 7.5 months! It's been a blast and I am not sure how I will be able to move on! Just wait, two weeks from now I will be writing about how much I love my new area. They call Stanford the promised land of the mission. Usually we want to go to the promised land but I am all about trying something new :)
 

As you have all been hearing over the past few weeks, our area has been slow, but of course now that I am leaving the work is happening again. We got two new solid investigators this past week. One of them is named Mike. We had a member come to us and tell us that she had a referral for us. We were thrilled and asked her all about him. He is her boyfriend and he has agreed to learn about the church for her. We thought maybe his intentions for learning about the church weren't 100%in the right place but whatever breaks down that initial wall is great! We set up a lesson with him for Sunday after church at the stake presidents home. We went into the lesson and a funny thing happened. Now I have nothing against the Stake President or his wife, they are both incredible people with an incredible knowledge of the gospel. I just thought it was very funny to see how a member would teach and how a missionary would teach. We were teaching the Restoration to Mike and when we got to the first vision Mike had a question. It was at this point that our stake president and wife took over to try and answer his question and went on a long deep doctrine discussion that lasted a good 30 minutes. We sat there thinking whether or not we should cut off our stake president. But we got a chance to jump in and the stake president and his wife actually had to end up leaving at that point so the remainder of the lesson was just us. We got into a really good talk about the spirit and how we can recognize and feel the spirit. The part that was funny to me is that they never said anything that wasn't true or that was bad. They were just feeding meat to someone who needed milk. Now Mike is a very intelligent individual and conceptually understood everything that was being said but spiritually Mike is not even close to being able to understand what was said so he was taking in all of this great information but none of it was spiritually beneficial. Overall it was a great lesson and we had a really good time.

This is all I have time to write this week. We are super busy with goodbyes and packing today so anyone that normally gets a letter from me know that I still got your letter and I am contemplating whether or not I want to respond! ;)

I love you all! Have a fantastic week!

Elder Maxwell

PS: I saw Elder Forsgren again! He went to his first outgoing fireside. In two more years he will be going to his own! He is doing great! Not getting transferred. Loves his companion loves his area. This mission is a great fit for him! It's really fun being able to see him around all the time. (twice)

No comments:

Post a Comment