On October 16th, Benjamin Maxwell, left his home and family for two years to serve a mission in San Jose, California.

As a missionary: He will teach of Jesus Christ and His gospel. He will have doors slammed in his face and be yelled at. He will meet people from all walks of life. He will stretch himself. He will learn about himself. He will learn of his Heavenly Father's love for him and for all His children. He will learn to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost. He will serve the people of San Jose. And he will LOVE more than he though possible.

Monday, March 9, 2015

Nothing can ever compare to ​doing missionary work!

 
  ​What do I write about this week? I am not sure? This week has flown by but now that it is over I don't know what I am supposed to write about. We worked super hard and stayed fairly busy but I honestly don't know of anything that I can share as a cool experience or as a miracle. Maybe if I think about it while writing about Emma's engagement I will think of a cool story to share. 

   So, Emma's engaged. I honestly saw it coming, but I will admit it took me completely off guard. I was shocked when I saw her email! Funny story, I actually didn't see Emma's email first. The first email I read was Kiana​'​s. In her letter at the very end she wrote a paragraph saying I read some very exciting news regarding your family this morning. After reading that I was like, what, what exciting news could she be reading? Nothing super exciting ever happens to our family! ;) then I proceeded to read Opa​'​s email next. He also mentioned some exciting news but he was also very vague about it. He never mentioned engagement, all he mentioned was Emma's exciting news. I then I had the thought cross through my mind. I thought, no, it couldn't be. I rushed over to Emma's email and sure enough it was all about her becoming engaged. My mind was blown! Like I said, I saw it coming but I clearly was not prepared for my little sister to be getting married! I believe I have gotten used to the idea now. Emma is very smart and I know that she knows what she is doing! 
 
​    We got to go to Santa Cruz again yesterday. I got more sun in one day than I have on my entire mission! It was an insanely beautiful day out on the beach! I love the beach. Sand, sun, and fun! It is always good to get back to work though. Nothing can ever compare to ​doing missionary work! I did do something different while we were on the wharf this time. After we finished eating our lunch, I got a clam chowder bowl, it was so so so good! Like I was saying though, after we finished eating, I took my now empty Snapple bottle and I put about 4 french fries in it. I tore the paper off of it so it became a clear glass bottle and I set it out for the seagulls to try and get the fries that were inside. It was very funny and kept us entertained for our entire walk down the wharf. I will send some videos so you can see what I am talking about. It was a good time. Some people said it was mean to do that to the seagulls but I don't think they took any offense to it :)
 
 
   I also got to see Elder Forsgren for the first time at the beach. We talked and I gave him the news about Emma's engagement and he was also blown away. It might have been even more shocking for him because I am sure he saw Emma while he was at BYU this last semester. It was fun talking with Elder Forsgren and getting to hear all about home and how cold it was when he left. I was cold in the 52 degree weather yesterday morning and he was enjoying the nice summer time air. Funny how that adjustment happens :)
 
 
   We created a really cool document this past week as well. We are calling it the constitution of the Menlo Park Zone. I will have to take a picture of it and send it home. It looks really cool. We created it in order to motivate all the missionaries in the zone to set more baptism dates. Recently our zone has been doing a really good job at finding new investigators. That has been the focus we have been emphasizing for the past three months but now we need to start baptizing all the potential that we have. So far this year our zone has only had one baptism and that was Stephen way back at the beginning of January. This month we are hoping to see a lot of amazing things happen as missionaries get motivated to be bold and invite others to be baptized! We created a document that looks a lot like a mini version of the constitution and we had all of the missionaries sign it as if they were the founding fathers. Then I went and got really fancy paper and I had it copied onto the fancy paper and then I had a copy of it laminated for each apartment and gave a copy to every apartment so they could always see it, every single day! The hope is that all the missionaries catch the fire and start to invite! We will see what happens...

That is about all that has happened this week. Hopefully next week I will have incredible stories to share! The work is moving forward! Keep doing everything you can and God will eventually place those who are prepared in our paths! He will more readily place a prepared person in the path of a full time finder (members) than he will a full time teacher (missionary). 

I love you all! Once again, congratulations Emma! You are wonderful!

   :)   Elder Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment