On October 16th, Benjamin Maxwell, left his home and family for two years to serve a mission in San Jose, California.

As a missionary: He will teach of Jesus Christ and His gospel. He will have doors slammed in his face and be yelled at. He will meet people from all walks of life. He will stretch himself. He will learn about himself. He will learn of his Heavenly Father's love for him and for all His children. He will learn to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost. He will serve the people of San Jose. And he will LOVE more than he though possible.

Monday, February 16, 2015

On a more spiritual side of feasting...

   The cold sounds brutal! I am not looking forward to the adjustment back.

   We are getting into the swing of things! The work here in the ward is starting to pick up again. All of the finding and building of potential over the holidays are becoming a reality. We have had several cool experiences over the past week. Thank you so much for the wonderful Valentine's Day package. I love it! The timing is actually quite remarkable. I had just ran out of Reses when the package showed up to replenish my supply. I also am going to have to start baking more I think. I have so many good looking treats that only take a little bit of effort on my part. I might be able to start to put on some weight. Probably not though. I can still eat pretty much whatever I want and not have to worry about it. 

   Speaking of eating, I spent way too much money on food this week. We went to a place on Wednesday for lunch called Fogo De Chao. It is an authentic Brazilian steakhouse. How this place works is you have a never ending salad bar that you stay far away from. The main reason you go is for the endless meat. Now I'm not talking about some McDonald's Big Mac patties. I am talking about Filet Mignon, top sirloin, etc...  They would bring out all these different meats on skewers and would come to your table and ask you if you would like some. I tried all their different meats (about 12) and then decided the filet Mignon was the best so I probably ate 25oz of that incredible meat. It was all so good. Very, very, pricey but coming out of it I would say it was well worth it. 


 
   On a more spiritual side of feasting... we had a really good lesson with Stephen this week. We taught him about the temple and as we were teaching I made a very cool connection that everything we do in the temple has eternal implications. We can do things for this life in a church building but the covenants and sealing of blessings that last into eternity can only be made within the walls of the temple. I am always amazed at how I can learn so much from teaching something that I know. The spirit truly is the teacher and there is nothing that I can do that even gets close in comparison to what the spirit can do. 
 
    I really do love serving here. It is such an incredible experience. I have grown so much! Thank you for all the continued love and support. I am glad I was able to track down Elder Forsgren for everyone. I hope he is enjoying his first area. Still haven't seen him in person but we will eventually. 
 
   Stay warm! Have fun! Bundle up in lots of layers! 

Love, Elder Maxwell 

No comments:

Post a Comment