On October 16th, Benjamin Maxwell, left his home and family for two years to serve a mission in San Jose, California.

As a missionary: He will teach of Jesus Christ and His gospel. He will have doors slammed in his face and be yelled at. He will meet people from all walks of life. He will stretch himself. He will learn about himself. He will learn of his Heavenly Father's love for him and for all His children. He will learn to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost. He will serve the people of San Jose. And he will LOVE more than he though possible.

Monday, July 28, 2014

I will admit that I opened the package early

My truly beloved family that I love so much!
 
   I am so grateful for the beautiful birthday package. I will admit that I opened the package early. But it was good that I did and let me explain why... I waited two or three whole days without opening it and then on Saturday night after we finished planning and everything was done we had a lot of free time and I decided that it was close enough to my birthday so I went into our room and took out my package. I placed it on my desk and I  took out a pair of extra sharp scissors. I hesitated for a moment but then I couldn't wait any more so I sliced it open real nice.  Now I would say it was a good thing that I opened it on Saturday because Sunday was so busy I wouldn't have had enough time to open everything properly.​ I loved all of the gifts! The mug is so cool! I love the color changing. So swish. I love the two new ties. Both very good choices. I wore the paisley tie to church. First time I have worn a paisley tie on my mission! Everyone loved it so good choice Emma!​ All the decorations were perfect. I put them up all over our room immediately and the room looks awesome. My companion says it can only stay for a week. So I have to enjoy it while I can. Now after I had decorated properly I had a massive pile of gifts that were so nicely wrapped. Maybe a little bit squished and wrinkly but I am sure that they were super duper nice at some point Emma. I saved all the wrapped ones for Sunday morning and it was awesome because when I woke up on Sunday morning my room was super birthday decorated. I wouldn't have had time to decorate on Sunday morning. Overall it has been an awesome birthday.
 
  My companion did a really great job of telling everyone that it was my birthday. My birthday dinner was at the Haws family ​home and they did a wonderful job spoiling me. Had awesome decorations and gave me a gift! Some awesome homemade hot sauce!​ Their family is moving out to New York City and I told them to make one of their nights a stop at our house.

   I love sister Taylor, That was so nice of her! Tell her that her message made me very happy and I showed it off to my companion.
 
  Ian you look so good at your baptism! I love all of the photos. You are so right! it was a very good choice to get baptized. Those feelings will be with you for the rest of your life. I hope that you have some way to remember that. I am glad that I was able to share a little part in the baptism.
 
   This past week has been very intesesting. It was one of those weeks where you feel like all week long you tried really hard to do everything you can to help people and you get to saturday and it still feels like you haven't gotten anything done. Thats how we felt this week. We did a lot of contacting again. We did only a litle bit of service and we had a whole lot of meetings. We had Zone Conference this week with two other Zones and President Mella gave a very good message that I really loved. He was talking about the numbers that all the missions in California had been putting up for the last two years and he had done a lot of the math to find the statistics for what we needed to do to double, triple, or quadruple, the number of baptisms that we will get this year compared to last year. All of that part was just numbers and information and it wasn't very spiritual or very exciting but then he asked us a very good question. He asked us if the members are ready to welcome a new stake next year. Do they have enough buildings do they have enough tables, enough chairs...etc. I thought this was such a wonderful way but a different way to look at everything. Are we prepared to welcome 2000 new members into our areas? I did a lot of pondering and thinking about that. Very interesting. I love it!
 
    Today we got to go to Santa Cruz and it was amazing! What a great way to finish off the birthday celebrations! I sent photos to everyone in a different email!
 Me and Zollinger.... with the Locomotive!
Just me on the Wharf at Santa Cruz. Such a beautiful day!



 Freeman, Me, Zollinger, Le Beau....  Walking down a path in the Redwoods in Santa Cruz


Le Beau, Me.... Driving down the Hwy 17
 
    We got to go and help Elenore in her yard this week and she was so happy with all the work that we were able to get done. She was amazed with the before and after difference. She said we are welcome to come back any time. We weren't able to share anything with her yet but she knows we care about her and we are learning about each other so that is very good. Everything is going so well.
 
  I am so happy out here in California! It is so nice. I do miss all of you a ton and I want to go home and play and do fun things with all of you all the time but I am so happy that I get to sacrifice and serve the Lord! This work is amazing! I love you all! Be steadfast!

Love, Elder Maxwell...  The Only One

No comments:

Post a Comment