On October 16th, Benjamin Maxwell, left his home and family for two years to serve a mission in San Jose, California.

As a missionary: He will teach of Jesus Christ and His gospel. He will have doors slammed in his face and be yelled at. He will meet people from all walks of life. He will stretch himself. He will learn about himself. He will learn of his Heavenly Father's love for him and for all His children. He will learn to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost. He will serve the people of San Jose. And he will LOVE more than he though possible.

Monday, July 14, 2014

DO GOOD!

    My new companion is so solid. He is out here to serve and he is motivated and wants to work hard and is focused and is in love with the gospel. He is the best new missionary that I have ever trained! Haha, honestly he is really a great missionary. His name is Elder Freeman from Falls Church, Virginia. I was so surprised at how much we have in common as we got to know each other this week, or the past four days. He is one of 8 children same as me he is the fifth born though. He is 20 years old with blonde hair. About 5'9" so a little bit shorter than I am. I feel like there were a lot more things in common but I can't think of any more right now. Training is pretty easy. Really all that I have to do is everything that I would normally do but I have to explain anything that is new. I am enjoying it and I think that he enjoys being my companion. At least I hope he does. 

    I did get to meet the new mission president several times now. He is new and excited to be out here. He is very intelligent and confident in the decisions that he makes. He will do great things here in the San Jose Mission.
    We have been having a crazy week. After transfers on Tuesday I did not have a companion until Thursday so I got a temporary two day companion who is also in Fremont and also had no companion for two days. We were already really good friends so we had a lot of fun and got a lot of work done in both area for those two days. Then when Thursday came around we got to go in and get our new companions and then we had to search for bikes for our new companions and do a whole lot of paperwork and get a lot of things that they needed to gather from all around the mission office and after all of that was finished we were finally able to drive back to Fremont  and get to work. 
 
   I moved back into the old address as I said. The one off of Bay st. Yes, the windows are all fine. I don't know why you would assume that there would be anything wrong with the windows... That's crazy. It's getting fairly tiring, moving all of my things around Fremont all the time. The next time I move it better be out to the beach! Haha, wouldn't that be nice.
 
We had a couple of cool experiences this week. First we were doing some contacting at the metro station and we met this lady named Lisa. We started to talk to her and she got very confrontational very quickly. She didn't seem to happy that we wanted to talk to her. She got the idea in her head that if she started to ask us why we were on missions and how we had decided to be members of this church that she could scare us away with these kind of questions. We both answered and told her the true answer to these questions. We testified about how we came to know the church was true and what it means to us to be members of this church. She was caught off guard by our answer and started to ramble of all of these different random statements but eventually ran out of things to say and we started to ask her questions. Nothing about the gospel but just trying to get to know her. She was taken back that we weren't pushing her to learn about the church and started to open up to us in a very friendly conversation. After talking for about five minutes she started to talk about how she had moved from Nebraska to live with her man but that he had broken up with her earlier in the day. She started to cry and then turned and started to walk away so we called out to her and asked if there was anything that we could do for her and she paused was very quiet for a minute and then told us that It was going to be a super moon tonight and it would bring both her and us good luck. She then turned around again and in 30 seconds was on her bus and gone. I stood there with my companion thinking about what had just happened. It was so clear in my head that this completely defensive hard hearted woman had been touched by the spirit. She had not been touched by the spirit in the way that we would normally see but her heart was softened . Softened to the point that she felt comfortable enough to share a very  personal experience with two strangers that she had just met on the street. I know that The Lord was working through us. I know that I had nothing to do with how she was touched. I don't know if she will ever get baptized or even meet with missionaries. I have no way of ever getting in contact with her again and I will never know how she is doing but what is important is that we were ready and willing to help her in a time when The Lord knew that she would need support. It is  amazing to me knowing that The Lord is willing and able to use us in any way that he needs. I do not claim to be a great therapist or a psychologist but I do know that what happened that day in front of that bus was a miracle. It was Gods hand working right here on earth and I know that we were that tool in his hand. He is all knowing, He loves us and wants all of us to be happy, worthy, ready, willing, and eager to help the work move forward.

     I read a scripture this past week that has been my little motto all week. It has stayed in my memory and I always think about this scripture as I am out and about doing The Lords work. Doctrine and Covenants 6:34-36...
34 Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail.
35 Behold, I do not condemn you; go your ways and sin no more; perform with soberness the work which I have commanded you.
36 Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not.

     What a great message this is to all of us. DO GOOD! We have all be called to serve and help the work of The Lord. We can only do this if we have the spirit with us and the only way that can happen is if we are doing good. Satan will come and attack us all. He is real and he is trying his hardest to destroy us all. He will do everything he can to hold us back from making the right choices. Do not fall into his trap. Hold to Christ. He is the rock, He will help us all to endure the trials and challenges that we face. I think of the saying that we are in the world, not of the world. Imagine a little flock of sheep surrounded and mixed in with a hungry pack of wolves. The only way that he can survive is if we heed to the call of the good shepherd. Follow the example of Jesus Christ. Leave behind all of your past mistakes. Repent and come unto Christ. He is the way and the light. We do not need to carry our burdens. Let them be lifted off of your back and walk along side your savior and redeemer.  My favorite part, DOUBT NOT, FEAR NOT! Doubt and fear are from satan. Have hope, trust, and faith. I love all of you so much, family, friends, and people that read because they know someone I know. All of you are important to your Father in heaven.  Turn to Him for peace. I know this is the true gospel and I want you all to know that. Be strong.

Love, your friend,
Elder Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment