On October 16th, Benjamin Maxwell, left his home and family for two years to serve a mission in San Jose, California.

As a missionary: He will teach of Jesus Christ and His gospel. He will have doors slammed in his face and be yelled at. He will meet people from all walks of life. He will stretch himself. He will learn about himself. He will learn of his Heavenly Father's love for him and for all His children. He will learn to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost. He will serve the people of San Jose. And he will LOVE more than he though possible.

Monday, January 6, 2014

Tell each other "I Love You" every day!


Wow, sounds like a crazy winter wonderland out there. Hope everyone is still having lots of fun! I just thought that I would let you know I was taking some really nice pictures of the sunset and the palm trees the other night. So many palm trees, its so crazy I can't handle it. Life is so hard here in California. Someday in the future the family will get back together and the home will be complete once more. Haha! I joke a lot.

So this week me and my companion had a bit of a rough start. We really started to clash with each other but on Wednesday night we ended up talking it through and we both said we would work harder at not being so abrasive. After that, we had a very good week from Thursday on. It taught me how important it is to have companion unity. Life is a lot easier when you get along. That should be helpful in the future ;)
 
We saw a lot of miracles this week. It has been really incredible.
 
Miracle number one, We had our dinner appointment get cancelled on Thursday so we had to feed ourselves but neither of us really felt like making anything so we decided to walk down the street and use the Subway gift cards that we got for Christmas. We went to Subway and had a really good dinner and then, when we went to throw away our garbage, a man was sitting alone at the table next to the trash can and he said, "Are you those Mormon missionaries?' We said yes and took a seat across from him. He told us this cool story about how the missionaries had been teaching him before but then they just stopped coming back (which usually means that there was a reason that the missionaries dropped him) but he said that he wanted us to start teaching him again. So we set up a time to go and teach him again later in the week. When we got home, we checked the teaching records and his record didn't say anything on it so we took that as a green light and we are going to start teaching him. Super cool that it all worked out like that though.
 
Second Miracle, we have been teaching this lady and she is slightly crazy but we have visited her three times now and she gets more sane each time, its kind of cool seeing her change. But anyway, the third time we are supposed to teach her we show up at her place but nobody answers the door so the appointment fell through. That was on Tuesday, on Thursday (after we had worked everything out) we went back in the morning and she was there and she said that she had been praying that we would come and she had a lot of questions for us, so that is pretty cool. We don't know if it will lead to baptism but its still a really cool experience. 
 
  Third miracle, We didn't have a lot of appointments set up on Friday, but we had one at noon so we went to that one and then right after that our day was open until dinner time so we needed something to do. We called a less active that I had met once before and he answered and said that he guessed it was alright if we came by, he wasn't too happy about it. So we went over, not knowing what to expect. When we get there we can tell that he is not in a very good mood. We sit down and start to talk with him and could never really find out what was wrong but I felt inspired to ask if there was anything that we could do for him. He said that he would really like a blessing! Excellent, blessings are wonderful for less actives, they work miracles. He asked me to give him the blessing even though he knew Elder Green-Bey a lot better than me. It still amazes me how I can be so inspired by the spirit in what to say during the blessings. It has been an incredible week.
 
 I love all of you and I am so glad that you are all so supportive of me and Austin and Christian as we serve missions, (Austin in past tense of course). I wouldn't want any other family in the entire world. You guys make me a very happy missionary. Have a great winter in the freezing cold and I will soak up as much sun as I can for you. (I really think I'm getting some tan lines, it's amazing!) Oh, and I am getting really good at sign language. There is one Elder who is completely deaf and I can have a conversation with him! Super cool!
 
Stay safe all and have fun and tell each other "I Love You" every day.

Elder Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment