On October 16th, Benjamin Maxwell, left his home and family for two years to serve a mission in San Jose, California.

As a missionary: He will teach of Jesus Christ and His gospel. He will have doors slammed in his face and be yelled at. He will meet people from all walks of life. He will stretch himself. He will learn about himself. He will learn of his Heavenly Father's love for him and for all His children. He will learn to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost. He will serve the people of San Jose. And he will LOVE more than he though possible.

Monday, August 3, 2015

Stuck making just 20 year old decisions

It has been a good week. We have been busy out and about doing man
things. 21 years of age requires a certain amount of responsible
choices. Such as buying a house, getting a credit score and getting a
wife. I guess I can't really do any of those three things right now.
That just means that I will be stuck making just 20 year old decisions
until I get home. The wo's of being an adult. Life just gets more and
more challenging. So many responsibilities. Bills to pay, the whole
shebang. Over all I would say being 21 feels exactly like I always
imagined! Did you know that when you turn 21 all the red words that
say "under 21" on your license magically disappear?!?! It was amazing.
What a moment. In all honesty its just like every other birthday,
nothing really feels different.

I love that conversation. I had this image of me running through the
airport juking out my siblings as if we were playing a game of rugby.
Everyone is trying to tackle me in a big hug but I'm too quick! I juke
left, spin right, slide under the legs and then BAM!!! I run into that
glass wall because I couldn't see it and I fall straight to the floor.
Then everyone dog piles on me just like we were the Crood family.
Hahaha, but of course it will be more elegant than that. Most likely
just like that scene out of Psych where the FBI guy jumps out of the
truck in his bulletproof vest and throws back his hair in the
sunlight. Puts on his sunglasses and does the swag walk all the way
over to everyone at which point Jonathan would say cut and give me
some suggestions on how to be a little more swanky and then would tell
me to do it again from the top. Whatever situation it ends up being I
am sure it will end with Mom getting the first hug.

 I think it is not a coincidence that all the missionaries spoke in
sacrament meeting there because all the missionaries in our Ward here
also spoke. I can attest to what you have said. The spirit was so
strong!!! In our testimony meeting I don't think it was the
missionaries that brought in the spirit so powerfully, I believe the
missionaries set the stage for the members to come in and really share
the truth. To really share what the spirit is telling them to share.
It was a really cool testimony meeting and I learned a lot from it. I
do hope that your experience was exactly the same, or maybe it is
slightly different coming from the viewpoint of a member rather than a
missionary.

We were able to go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium today. It was really
cool. I personally think that the aquarium in Boston was better but it
was cool to be at this one because of all the focus on the Jellyfish
and the sea otters. Sea otters are so cute! Absolutely amazing! So so
so cool. I still think that the jellyfish were my favorite though.
Jellyfish are living art. They are Gods creation that is there to
beautify the earth. So amazing!!! I love Jellyfish so I bought a
jellyfish shirt! Woo hoo! I hope it shrinks in the wash because the
small still looks huge. I need it to fit!!! Gotta be looking good. I
am 21 after all. We also got to see some divers doing maintenance.

Well as for our week that's about all that has been going on. Hope you
all are doing well. Sorry this is being sent so late. It was typed
earlier but this is the soonest it could get sent. Love you all!!!

Elder Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment