On October 16th, Benjamin Maxwell, left his home and family for two years to serve a mission in San Jose, California.

As a missionary: He will teach of Jesus Christ and His gospel. He will have doors slammed in his face and be yelled at. He will meet people from all walks of life. He will stretch himself. He will learn about himself. He will learn of his Heavenly Father's love for him and for all His children. He will learn to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost. He will serve the people of San Jose. And he will LOVE more than he though possible.

Monday, August 18, 2014

The people are awesome!

     Transfers are in this week. I am sad to say that I will be leaving my son after six weeks. I don't get to do the entire 12 weeks with him. He is also sad so I guess that is a good sign for me. I have enjoyed having him as my companion so much. He is an amazing missionary, he will do well to carry on the work here in Fremont. Sadly this also means that my time in Fremont is coming to an end. After nine months of wonderful service here in three different areas I am sad to see it go. I keep telling myself that the change will make the time fly by even faster and I think it is going fast enough already. I also got called as a Zone Leader this time so wherever I go I will be leading the Zone. I am excited, it will be a lot of fun. I hope it is as much fun as when I was a district leader. I loved that so this has to be on at least an equal level of awesomeness! Like I said before the change will be making the time fly. I have no idea where I am getting transferred to or who my new companion  will be but I will keep you all informed as quickly as I can.
 
      Yes, my forced frugality was good but as soon as I got my card I accidentally spent money on new shoes. It was for a good reason. I needed shoes with no holes to do service. They are really cool if that helps at all! I am going to start right now and make a challenge for myself, never use my debit card in the rest of August and all of September. You can hold me accountable to that! I need a good challenge. I am glad that this is my weakness though because there could be much bigger challenges for me to overcome at this time.
 
     We had an awesome week besides the part where this cold you have been mentioning for the past two months somehow found its way all the way over here to me! I was fine until you said I hope it doesn't get you in your last email and then two days later I woke up with a nasty head cold. Good thing for me is that week a couple of very busy days planned so all day Thursday and Friday I just had to work through it. I took lots of decongestants and a lot of Tylenol. Made it all the way to Saturday morning when the stake president invited all the missionaries to come to his home for some pancake breakfast. Now as a missionary you have to understand that you never pass up free breakfast. So I took some medicine after I woke up and headed over to breakfast with my companion. Now the thing about decongestants is that they make me a little bit wired. So for those of you who know me. When I am not 100% in my head I say a lot of random things that come into my head. All of the people there were loving all of the funny things that I was saying and then later the stake president was talking with me, (we have a really good relationship because he lives in my ward) and he asked me if I was alright. I told him I was sick and taking medication and he commanded me to go home and sleep after the breakfast so I did and I ended up sleeping till one in the afternoon. After that I was much better and the head cold has pretty much completely gone away now. It really is weird how it clogs up the ears and makes it so you can't hear. I have never had that before. Just another adventure of being a missionary! Looking back at everything that happened this week overall it was an awesome week so I have no grudges against my sick day. 
 
    On Tuesday we were able to teach John again. We talked about the Plan of Salvation this time and it was such an amazing lesson. I am so glad that I have had the opportunity to go and be there to help him grow and understand the gospel. He such a great guy. I am going to miss him so much. I am going to miss all of my good friends in Fremont. This ward is so amazing, the people are awesome! I am so glad that I had the chance to be blessed their wonderful spirit. I know that as I have served among them that I have learned so much from each and everyone of them. I have been so blessed to be able to make so many wonderful friends! I don't know if My next areas will be able to top this. It has been incredible.
   
Love, Elder Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment