On October 16th, Benjamin Maxwell, left his home and family for two years to serve a mission in San Jose, California.

As a missionary: He will teach of Jesus Christ and His gospel. He will have doors slammed in his face and be yelled at. He will meet people from all walks of life. He will stretch himself. He will learn about himself. He will learn of his Heavenly Father's love for him and for all His children. He will learn to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost. He will serve the people of San Jose. And he will LOVE more than he though possible.

Monday, March 10, 2014

I should probably try to keep a companion for a little bit longer.

Ha-ha! I was reading through the letters and I realized that the sacrament meetings we had were very similar! My Sunday was also all about faith. It must be close enough to the beginning of the year for the lessons to still be lined up. Anyway, we had a really great Sunday!
 
The new ward is great. I am in the Central Park ward now. It borders my last ward and I am still in the same apartment as you have heard. But Allegra is correct, I did change beds. In fact I had to change rooms and I had to move all of my stuff to the new room which was a real bummer because my old room had four full body mirrors and my new room has none so I had to steal one and take it with me.
 
My new companion is Elder Jensen. He was already living with me so I already know him pretty well.  He is a big guy that is honestly a big teddy bear. He loves to give everyone hugs and he thinks like a younger kid.  He is a really great guy and a fantastic missionary.
 
Christian is right as well. I am in my third area now and my fourth companion. I don't think that goes very well for my missionary record. I should probably try to keep a companion for a little bit longer.
   
It has been an awesome experience, so far, being able to be a district leader. I love the feeling of being able to constantly thinking about others and the work that they are doing and not thinking about myself and the work that I am doing. The work I am doing is also important but I am glad that it is not the only thing that I am thinking about now. I don't know if that sounds good or bad but it honestly is a good thing. I am however having a difficult time thinking of some good ideas to do during district meetings so if you could ask the missionaries what some of their favorite district meetings have been then let me know that would be awesome! And any other advice you have for me!
 
Lets see, this week has been really cool. I spent most of the week meeting with ward members and trying to meet with the limited number of investigators that we have. (two)  This area wasn't in the best shape when I got here. There is a lot of work to do, finding wise and building trust with the ward wise. But nothing that can't be done with the Lords help.
 
This wards elders quorum does a really cool thing every year. They have an elders quorum pinewood derby (No Rules/Anything Goes) I signed us up for it so I am going to start working on a super cool car that is spring loaded and it is going to be awesome. Any cool ideas you can find for that, as well, would be cool.
 
We had some really great talks in sacrament meeting about diligence and patience. It was interesting because as I have been studying this past week I have come across a lot of scriptures that mention diligence and I have taken it as a sign from God that I need to be more diligent in every aspect of the work. Praying, reading my scriptures, planning, preparing for meetings, etc... It's a lot to do but as I have applied it I have seen so many blessings that come from it. One of my favorite scriptures was Moroni 8:25-26 I believe. It talks about diligence to prayer and how it keeps all these other things in effect.
 
Next week when I have met more people I will have cooler stories and more experiences to share.
 
Jono,  I was reading your advice to me and you said always style your hair. So far I have kept your advice and it is very good advice.
 
Love you all! Have a great week!
Elder Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment