On October 16th, Benjamin Maxwell, left his home and family for two years to serve a mission in San Jose, California.

As a missionary: He will teach of Jesus Christ and His gospel. He will have doors slammed in his face and be yelled at. He will meet people from all walks of life. He will stretch himself. He will learn about himself. He will learn of his Heavenly Father's love for him and for all His children. He will learn to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost. He will serve the people of San Jose. And he will LOVE more than he though possible.

Monday, February 24, 2014

Keeping us accountable is just an awesome blessing on the side.

Yet again we have finished another great week! My companion got sick at the begining of the week and we had to stay in on Tuesday. Then Tuesday night I made a masterful plan that was successful because the Lord really blessed us. I called a member family (basicly the Maxwell family of the ward) and asked them if my companion could sleep on their couch all day because the father was also sick so my companion would have priesthood protection all day. They said that would be fine so I set that in place. Then I called all the splits eligible men in the ward and got four different people to take me around to the appointments all day!

It was a crazy day, it is very difficult to do missionary work without a missionary companion. Don't get me wrong, the members that were with me were amazing members but missionaries are actually called by God to be representitives of Jesus Christ and there are deffinately blessings that are associated with that. Needless to say, I am very greatful that my companion was feeling up to doing work again on Thursday. It was quite interesting how it all worked out. I can remember telling my companion on Monday how one of the hardest parts about being a missionary for me is always having to have a companion with me. Then the Lord decided to teach me why I always need to have a companion with me. It is easier for me to understand now that it's more than just making sure that we are keeping the rules. It is important to have a companion because thats the way that it has been set up. The gospel is ment to be taught two-by-two. The keeping us accountable is just an awesome blessing on the side. I can now say that I am glad to have a companion.

    I got to meet with "Tina" on Wednesday and taught her the restoration. The whole time she was agreeing with everything that was said and she was saying it was answering a lot of the questions she had that the Catholic church wouldn't answer for her. She really is the "Golden Investigator" as Opa said in his letter. As we taught the Atonement to her she started to cry and told us of an experiance that she had. She said that when she was first reading up about the church she read a passage about the Atonement and the spirit filled her and confirmed to her that her Heavenly Father really did love her and that Jesus Christ really is her Savior. She said that she had read similar accounts in the Catholic church but the spirit had never touched her as it did when she read it for the first time in an LDS publication. It was an amazing lesson and the spirit was so strong. I invited her to be baptized and she said that yes she would love to be baptized and then she said that she is moving out to Colorado to live with an LDS family that she had grown really close to and she said that she wanted the father of that family to baptize her. It was really cool and I am glad that she is so prepared and willing. Some missionaries in Colorado are being very good because they have an amazing blessing coming there way. I am so happy that I was able to see that the Lord really is preparing people and that as we are worthy they we be led to us or we will be led to them.
 
    I have been reading a lot in the book of Alma recently and I have been reading through the battle chapters at the end this week and it is so cool to see the Gospel messages that are in those battle strategies. I can see how the Nephites and Lamanites are like Satan and us and it really teaches us ways that we can avoid Satan all together. It also teaches about how when we build up our fortifications we can catch Satan off gaurd and we can show him that we will be an unpenitrable fortress in these days. Satan honestly had no power over us, and I have come to learn that its not beause we are all powerful and all knowing because we are not. Its because we have God on our side and he is all powerful and all knowing. Let us all put up the good fight and not let Satan get past out outer walls. Keep close to those good friends and good influences. Avoid any apearance of evil. When there is a crack in the wall that is where Satan will strike.
 
    I love all of you and I am so happy to hear of all the wonderful experiances and missionary moments that you are all having. Continue to live worthily and recieve the blessings that Heavenly Father has promised!
 
Take care and be safe.
 
Love, Elder Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment